The Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board (PGDB) is warning homeowners not to undertake sanitary plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying work and not to use unlicensed tradespeople. A new digital public awareness campaign has been implemented by PGDB to help ensure homeowners are well aware of these requirements before partaking in the kiwi spirit of DIY.
The three month campaign has five simple messages for homeowners:
1. It is illegal to carry out this type of work without authorisation from the Board
2. Ask-for-the-card … this provides confidence that you are hiring a competent and authorised tradesperson
3. Work carried out by unauthorised people can cause injury, loss of life and disease as well as damage to property
4. There are fines associated with illegal work
5. Don’t risk your insurance.
There are big fines associated with illegal work; for example, unauthorised sanitary plumbing work carries a maximum fine of $10,000 and unauthorised gasfitting carries a maximum fine of $50,000. Serious stuff.
Rest assured, all Arrow Plumbing & Gas tradespeople are authorised by the Board… and we’re here and there when you need us!
Read more about the PGDB campaign here.